SC - cleaning horns

Charles McCN charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Thu Nov 6 18:47:24 PST 1997

Angelique she quoth
> Thanks for the tips.
> When you say 'fill with cider, are you suggesting what my first drink
> out of the horn should be, or is the cider there to form some reaction?
> Is this hard cider or just fresh?  Are you sealing the inside in any
> steps other than those mentionned?
A bit of both. It is otherwise unsealed (Although I forgot to mention
that I do srub out the inside with a stiff bottle brush and water)

The Sun (so long as it gets plenty) seems to seal it quite nicely. I know
people who use beeswax, but it looks ugly inside, and everything tastes
of beeswax. I also don't use them for hot drinks much - I think Tea would
be OK, but milky coffee seems like a no-no (Anyone tried?) and I imagine
that that would bring out a bit of the horn flavour again.

Charles