SC - Re: candied ginger)

Kathleen M Everitt kathe1 at juno.com
Thu Nov 6 20:09:48 PST 1997

>      Hummmmmm, there should be some recipes in late period books, but
>I was
>basicly thinking of cooking them in a bit of syrup until it was at
>hard-crack, draining them and coating them with sugar. Or, more
>simply,
>wetting the seeds with beaten egg white and rolling in sugar. The real
>problem is figuring out how to get all the seeds separate afterwards.
>You
>would have to do it before they completely dried or they'd never come
>apart.
>And there's the difficulty in keeping the coating on them while
>separtating
>them............................
>     Any ideas out there? What do the period recipes suggest?
>
>Ldy Diana

I don't know specifically about comfits, but the recipe for candied peel
says spread them out to dry. Also, rolling them in sugar keeps them from
sticking, not make them stick together. I always roll my peel in sugar if
I'm in a hurry or it's really humid. I would imagine it would work the
same way for candied seeds. Roll them in sugar, spread them on cookie
sheets and let them dry, turning with a spatula occassionally to keep
them from sticking to the pan. Try putting them in the oven after you
turn it off from baking something. You don't want to bake them, but the
residual heat will help them dry out.

Julleran