SC - Re- Candied Cinnamon

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Nov 9 07:52:22 PST 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> Not necessarily. The seeds you mention are small, but quite hard. the
> cinnamon stick is larger, but somewhat crumbly, but as Adamantius mentions
> splinters. I keep imagining getting cinnamon splinters caught between my
> teeth. But I can imagine chewing on the cinnamon stick even without the
> candying. Sort of wierd, but I can remember making cinnamon toothpicks
> using cinnamon oil years ago and this might be similar in texture.
>
> The mere soaking of the cinnamon bark in sugar water may alter the texture
> of the bark.

Boiling the cinnamon in the sugar syrup which would eventually form the
candy might have enough of an effect on the cinnamon, too. I suspect it
would soften after the boiling, and then when candied, the softness
would translate as a brittle hardness, rather than a tough hardness,
making the thing at least chewable.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com