SC - Re: Palate Cleansers

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Nov 16 17:31:45 PST 1997

Elise Fleming wrote:

> I had thought (based on something I'd read, somewhere... Scully,
> maybe?) that the entremets were (generally) simpler foods, especially
> in taste.  In that sense, a frumenty would be less exotically spiced
> than the dishes which preceded it.  Wouldn't these serve in a similar
> function to a "palate cleanser"?  I don't swear that all entremets were
> "bland" but I remember going back to search recipes to see that the
> concept was valid.

My understanding of entremets was that they were middle-to-light-weight
foods, and easy to digest. Things like daryols or blancmanger are
traditionally used as entremets, IIRC. They could get to be pretty
elaborately garnished, but the foods themselves would have been fairly
simple, as I understand it.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com