SC - Beer (from whiskey thread)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Nov 16 17:44:03 PST 1997

Robert Beaulieu wrote:
> > Well, I've had all sorts of beers here in the States, and during my three
> > years in Scotland I got to sample various English/Scottish brews.  They all
> > taste alike to me - and  it's a horrible taste.  I consider beer (of any
> > sort) to be the worst thing I ever made the mistake of putting into my mouth....
> >
> > Alasdair mac Iain
>
>         Keep trying... a different taste, and maybe one you would like, would
> be the belgium fruit beers or the white (wit) weat beers!

I'd recommend a single bock to start with. Generally these have very few
hops, compared to other German-style beers (and most American beers are
some form of lagers, after all). So, the bitterness is quite muted,
compared to, say, a Helles or an English Barley Wine. The only problem
(and not universally regarded as such) is that bocks tend to be quite
sweet and heavy. Double and triple bocks are commensurately sweeter and
heavier.

Belgian lambics also have fewer hops, especially so since they (the
hops, that is) are traditionally aged to a point where any non-Belgian
brewer would call them stale. I actually like a few hops in my fruit
beers, especially since wheat beers generally aren't my favorite.

I once worked with a woman who informed me that she didn't like beer. I
asked her if she wouldn't make an exception for, say, a nice Kriek
lambic. She asked what that was. I told her. She told me that that would
be much too sweet (never having tried the stuff), and stated her
preference for a nice glass of port. I stated she was an idiot. This
was, of course, back in my tactless days, when I was not the model of
diplomacy I am now...

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com