Units (was: SC - Recipe books)

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Wed Nov 19 05:57:58 PST 1997

>LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
>>
>> In a message dated 97-11-18 15:58:17 EST, you write:
>>
>> << I once read one of the least usefull units in a app. turn of the
>>  century cookbook; "take 3 cents worth of cake yeast" (paraphrased). >>
>>
>> Sounds like the hand-written one I have from my gram for her  (and mine)
>> favorite pickles. Everything goes smoothly along and suddenly 'yil out
>>of the
>> blue it reads "add a nickle's worth of saccharin"! Excuse me? How much?
>> Sadly, Gramma has passed to the Summerland and no matter how much I beg on
>> All Hallow's E'en when the vail to the world's is opened for a brief
>>time she
>> always seems to be busy somewhere else. :-0  The secret is her's forever or
>> until I can find out what weight  a nickles worth of saccharin was  during
>> the 1920's. :-(

Hello!  I looked through my collection without success last night. (But I
did find a snippet of a grocer's advertisement stuck in a 1929 cookbook.
Coffee was 25 cents per pound, & butter was 49 cents per pound!)

The word 'Saccharin' in her recipe may not refer to the trademarked product
by that name.  It also refers to any finely powdered sugary substance.  I
suggest that you look in a newspaper archive for grocery advertisements.

HTH,

Cindy/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net