SC - Question-non-cooks

kat kat at kagan.com
Wed Nov 19 11:22:12 PST 1997

> On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Caitlin Cheannlaidir wrote:

>> Hmm.  This is me, and I don't know why you're getting that message.  I've
>> noted over time that I often get your (Ras') messages in duplicate.  Maybe
>> our systems are incompatible somehow?  (I really can't speculate, my
>> technological sophistication is on a level with stone knives and bear
>> skins, but I'll forward this to my tech support group (husband<G>)).

Ulfr replied:

> Allow me to guess; you are using a email program (Winmail? MS Mail?)
> that sends along a small file with information usefull (in some obscure
> fashion) only to itself, i.e. others using the same program. The
> solution is to either find a setting that prevents it from doing silly
> things like that, using a program for email that doesn't do stupid,
> non-standard faeces like that, or letting everyone else live with it.

> My advice is to follow either of the two first suggestions, and to avoid
> the third like the plague.

Caitlin dear, are you getting the digest or the individual emails?

I found I had a problem (and almost got flamed on a list for it, before I fixed it) because I am using Microsoft Exchange and it makes nasty snarls at the end of documents if you push the reply button to answer an email.

I FIXED the problem thusly:  Every time I reply to anything from a mailing list, digest or no, I copy the lines I wish to reply to and paste them into a FRESH email, and insert all the ">"s by hand.  (That's why my subject lines are always different than y'all's.)  So far, no further complaints...

It takes a little more time and effort, and that actually helps me decide:  Is it REALLY worth all this trouble just to say "Me too!" ?   ;-)

Just my US$.02 (which works out to precisely AU$0.027 and is therefore worthless anyway...)

	- k