SC - Re: A&S Competitions

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Nov 19 14:48:01 PST 1997

Greetings!  People mentioned documentation for cookery but I didn't see
any mention of _presentation_.  How your dish is presented has an
impact on the judges.  Putting the food into a (reasonably)
period-looking dish is better than putting it into, for example, a
metal or plastic pie tin.  Setting the dish on a white napkin or on a
period-style fabric; placing candles or other items with it; garnishing
the dish appropriately.  And, let us not forget... Provide the judges
with something to eat the food with (spoon, fork, knife for cutting,
plate to put the food on, etc.).  No one told me that the first time I
entered and I was "downgraded" because of it.  A few years later, I (as
judge) was faced with a liquidy cherry pudding.  No plate.  No spoon.
No nothing.  And it was in a high school classroom about 1/4 mile from
the home economics rooms where everyone else was!  I finally scooped
some of the glop up with my fingers... and had no place to wipe them,
of course!  The "pudding" was in a large plastic bowl with no
decoration or garnish.

Moral:  Make sure the judges have something to eat your food with, that
you have set it out attractively, and even put some "additional
touches" with it.

Alys Katharine