SC - SC Kitchens and camping

Charles McCN charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Wed Nov 19 20:02:02 PST 1997

When camping I find a fire is a great cooking surface. It's best if it is
a long line (which need not be straight) including a bit which is just
there to turn wood into something more like charcoal (and light the
kitchen up a bit). This provides the ability to make a bit warmer fast.
The spade is to turn it down (remove some fire to another bit...) It
allows for heating as much stuff as you like.

Keeping things cool, on the other hand, is tricky. I use an Esky
(Australian for a foam box you put Ice and cold stuff, esp. beer in), or
a bucket of ice. I am in the process of making another chest (I use
wooden chests for keeping most of my stuff in. That way my kitchen looks
a lot more period, there is plenty of seating after work, and bench space)
which I was going to line and waterproof to use as a 'medieval esky'. One
of the groupsin Melbourne has a very nice one, and they work very well
for a limited quantity of stuff. So I limit the quantity of stuff to keep
cold.

Charles