Unit alert! (was: SC - Long-Period food, bread, etc.)

margali margali at 99main.com
Sat Nov 22 06:40:08 PST 1997

> The package of yeast under discussion is a 1/4 oz of granulated dry
> active yeast, which is approximately 7 grams.  The packages, which
> come
> in strips of three, can be purchased in almost any grocery in the U.S.
>
> Compressed yeast, which is sold in a 1 or 2 oz cake, is less common
> and
> is usually kept under refrigeration.  Bulk yeast, except for a 4 oz
> jar,
> is rarely found in groceries.
>
> Because it keeps and performs exceptional well, the dry active yeast
> is
> the most common in the U.S. and the measurement by package is a recipe
>
> convention for the casual home baker.
>
> Bear

you can buy the 1 lb bag of yeast at many wholesale 'clubs' like
costco/price club, or bj's. also some cooking equipment catalogues like
'the cooks catalogue' sell it in bulk, along with 10 fold vanilla
extract and other hard to get goodies. If you are going to be at an
event I could concievably get to or want to pay the shipping, and cost,
I could get it for you and pass it along.
i use about 1/2 tbsp for 3 loaves. no real recipe, i use a flintstones
mug  of lukewarm water, add the yeast, a tsp of honey or sugar,
whichever is handier at the time, and start adding flour and mixing
until the consistancy is right, knead till it feels right, make the
boule or pop it in a greased pan and let rise, pop in the oven abd bake
till it sounds hollow when i thump it. i have baked bread on a daily
basis for many years[unless the job doesnt permit] so now it is done on
auto pilot.
[and to tease others, i can do puff pastry almost as brainlessly;-)]
margali