SC - smoked hams

margali margali at 99main.com
Sat Nov 22 06:30:40 PST 1997

> Yes, sounds much better than the watery hams I usually see in the
> store.
> That even when labeled "smoked" must still be refrigerated. These
> sound
> great for something like Pennsic or Gulf Wars.
>
> This does bring up a question though. Do these types of hams keep this
>
> well after they have been opened and a portion has been sliced off? Or
>
> are they like some cheeses where after you slice off the wax or rind,
> they don't keep any better than any other cheese?
>
> Perhaps it's time to look at the specialty shops here in town or mail
> order.
>
> Stefan li Rous

The smithfield hams will keep after slicing if you rub salt and black
pepper on the fresh cut, at least that is what they told me at the
smithfield ham shop on little creek rd on norfolk va when i live down
there[and could buy it sliced by the lb instead of the whole thing at
once, much more economical if you dont have lots of money and only need
a little bit now and then.]

I have a custom deli near me in westerly RI called 'fortunas' that make
their own prosciutte-style ham, and all sorts of the dried and
occasionally smoked sausages like sopresato that I love to take camping.
I just make up the bean pasta and spice blend for minestrone and take
along a 1 lb 'soupy', and when it is time to make lunch-I just chop in
the soupy, add [canned] chicken broth and the beans and set on the back
of the fire to spend the motning simmering.

I also thin slice the ham, and sausage, wrap them around cantaloupe
chunks, pin with toothpicks, make chunks of the ham and sausages, and
cheeses[yes, even mozzarella and cheddar will keep without refrigeration
the duration of a weekend] and add bread and beverages and there is a
relatively period dayboard for the camp.

margali