SC - Mock Sturgeon-update

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Nov 23 17:00:59 PST 1997

<< Again, it's possible. It's just that out of several almost identical
 recipes for mock sturgeon made from veal odds and ends, all of them call
 for the meat to be cooked in vine and/or vinegar, except this one. That
 makes things a bit suspicious, that's all.
 -------------- >>

I completed the cooking process fo the meat in theis recipe. A veal head was
unavailable so I substituted veal shank and threw in a couple of pigs feet.
These substitutes are justified, IMHO, because it is the cooking technique
that is in question here, not the ingredients.

The meat was covered with water and brought to a boil. 1/1 cp of honey was
added to the water. The heat was reduced to a simmer and the pan was covered
and boiled until the meat totally fell from the bones (approx. 3 hrs.).

I then removed the meat from the liquid, strained the broth amd returned it
to the heat, letting it reduce until it took on a (ta-da!) coppery color!!
:-) This is now residng in the frig until it jells.

The meat and skin  are waiting to be cool enough to handle. Preliminary
observation show that the meat and flesh is a uniforn copperish pink color
with a few bits here and there that are dark.

Question: Is the flesh of sturgeon pinkish colored with a brown streak down
the back or sides?

Looks like this recipe is legitimate AS written and that the vinegar versions
are just that, versions. I suspect that the honey recipe is the much older
when viewed as a derivative of Roman recipe which from my observation so far
is the way I am leaning.

More to follow including complete redaction. I need the sturgeon question
answered at this time. Thank-you.

Ras