SC - A&S Compeitions

Christi Redeker Christi.Redeker at digital.com
Mon Nov 24 07:51:15 PST 1997

Hello everyone!

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I won the cooking division of the A&S competition this weekend.  I was unable to do the Marzipan and Stained glass candy shield do to this being Colorado and my Marzipan got to dry and crumbled when I tried to move it after pouring in the hard candy.  I made Gingerbread and Rapeye instead.  They both wnet over really well and I received and average of 25.5 and 23.5 out of 30 respectively.  I made the gingerbread both with ginger, and without and documented both of them.

My question is this.  My cooking was judged on a standard sheet used by all of the judging.  One of the categories was for creativeness and by its description, I would have done better to make it "peroid" then "period".  Is this a standard practice?  The definition was (this is off the top of my head folks) if you made something non-period 0 pts, somewhat period 1 pt., Somewhat period with documentation 2 pts, an exact copy of period materials and work 3 pts. (this was my score on each of my dishes), used period materials, but made your own item 4 pts, use of period materials, but with an artist interpretation of how they should be used, extra consideration for designs special tailored to an event, or device etc... 5 pts.

To me this should not apply to cooking in a competition, just because of the way we try to get people to cook actual period items, not just "they used it in period so I can make it any way I want to because they could have done it that way.  Am I correct in my thinking?  Is this done this way throughout the Known World?  How are items judged elsewhere, if not?

Mind you everyone, I am not complaining, just not understanding.  The competition was wonderful and I received beautiful napkins in napkin rings that are a Russian design.  I just would like to undersatnd how these are judged elswhere, so that I might compete at a better level.  Should I cook feasts on one level (as close to period as humanly possible) and competitions on another (peroid)?

Murkial