SC - LONG - Period veges(coffee)

Wed Nov 26 11:50:28 PST 1997

> And coffee. Said to have been discovered by
>an arab goatherd in the 850's
>
>Charles ragnar (my period is medieval, 911- 1204 europe holy lands and
>north africa)

And I consort with Sheik Abdullah because coffee is period for him.

In general, the use of coffee was apparently uncommon in the Islamic
lands until after 1200 C.E., and was unknown in Europe until the late
1500's.  Louis L'Amour places coffee houses in Spain during the 1100's
in his book The Walking Drum, but I believe this to be a historical
error.  There are a number of errors in this book and I have found no
documentation to support the existence of coffee houses at that time and
place.  Frankly, coffee houses can't exist until the supply of coffee is
large enough and trade steady enough to lower the cost into the price
range of the moderately wealthy.

Coffee is one of those subjects which gets debated regularly, so here's
my tuppence for Stephan's collection.  The best text I have found on the
subject is William Ukers, All About Coffee, 2nd edition, 1932 (?).  It
was written for the coffee industry and covers history, growing, and
processing in depth.  The bibliography is one of the most extensive I
have ever seen.  I recommend it to anyone interested in the subject.

Herewith, Bear's Chronology of Coffee for the Anachronist.  (Many of
these dates are approximate.)  One of these years, I may actually get
around to writing the article I've been researching.

200 B.C.  --  Possible cultivation of coffee in Yemen.  Archeological
evidence is open to interpretation.

750 C.E.  --  Khalid observes the effect of coffee on goats and himself.
 (apocryphal)

900 C.E.  --  Rhazes (Arab physician) mentions coffee under the name
bunca or bunchum.

1000 C.E. --  Avicenna (Arab physician and philosopher) describes the
medicinal properties of bunchum

1258 C.E. --  Sheik Omar (founder of Mocha) discovers coffee as a
beverage at Ousab, Arabia.  (apocryphal ?)

1400 - 1500 C.E.  --  Specialized tools for coffee making appear in
Turkey and Persia --  hand roasters, Turkish cylindrical coffee mill,
and the Turkish metal coffee boiler.

1454 C.E.  --  Sheik Gemaleddin, mufti of Aden, learns of coffee in
Abyssinia and sanctions its use in Arabia Felix.

1505 C.E.  --  Coffee plant is introduced into Ceylon.

1510 C.E. --  Coffee drink is introduced into Cairo.

1511 C.E.  --  Kair Bey, governor of Mecca, prohibits the drinking of
coffee.  The sultan of Cairo revokes the prohibition.

1517 C.E.  --  Sultan Selim I, conquers Egypt, brings coffee to
Constantinople

1524 C.E.  --  The kadi of Mecca closes the coffee houses.  His
successor reopens them under license.

1530 C.E.  --   Coffee drinking introduced into Damascus.

1532 C.E.  --   Coffee drinking introduced into Aleppo.

1534 C.E.  --  Religious riot against coffee houses.  Chief judge
settles the controversy by serving coffee at a meeting of disputants.

1542 C.E.  --  Soliman II forbids the use of coffee.

1554 C.E.  --  The first coffee houses are opened in Constatinople.

1570 - 1580 C.E.  --  Religious dispute over coffee.  Amurath III closes
coffee houses by classing coffee with wine, but coffee use continues
privately.

1573 C.E.  --  Rauwolf (German physician and botanist) travels to the
Levant, mentions coffee in his writings

1580 C.E.  --  Alpinus (Prospero Alpini, Italian physician and botanist)
travels to Egypt and describes coffee.

1582 C.E.  --  First printed reference to coffee (chube) in Rauwolf's
Travels.

1585 C.E.  --  Gianfrancesco Morosini (city magistrate in
Constantinople) reprots to the Venetian senate of the Turkish use of
cavee.

1587 C.E.  --   First authentic account of the origin of coffee by Sheik
Abd-al-Kadir (manuscript in Bibliotheque Nationale, Paris)

1592 C.E.  --   First printed description of coffee plant (bon) and
drink (caova) in Alpini's The Plants of Egypt.

1596 C.E.  --  Belli sends Egyptian (?) coffee beans to de l'Ecluse.

1598 C.E.  --  First printed reference in English to chaoua in a note in
the translation from the Dutch of Linschooten's Travels.

1600 C.E.  --  Coffee cultivation introduced into southern India at
Chickmaglur, Mysore, by Baba Budan.  (apocryphal)

1601 C.E.  --  Modern form of the word coffe first appears in English in
Sherley's Travels.

1603 C.E.  --  Captain John Smith (yes, THAT John Smith) refers to the
Turk's drink coffa in his book of travels.

1610 C.E.  --  Sir George Sandys (English poet) visits the Middle East
and describes the drinking of coffa.

1614 C.E.  --  Dutch traders visit Aden to study the possibilies of
coffee cultivation and trade.

1615 C.E.  --  Pietro Della Valle writes to Mario Schipano in Venice
that he will be bring some coffee with him, which he believes to be
unknown in his native country.  Coffee is introduced into Venice.

1616 C.E.  --  First coffee brought from Mocha to Holland by Pieter Van
dan Broecke.

1620 C.E.  --  Peregrine White's wooden mortar and pestle (used for
braying coffee) is brought to America on the Mayflower by his parents.

1625 C.E.  --  Sugar first used to sweeten coffee in Cairo.

1637 C.E.  --  Coffee drinking is introduced into England by Nathaniel
Conopios, a Cretan student at Balliol College, Oxford.

1640 C.E.  --  Wurffbain (Dutch merchant) offers for sale in Amsterdam
the first commercial shipment of coffee from Mocha.

1644 C.E.  --  Coffee is introduced in to France at Marseilles by P. de
la Roque.

1645 C.E.  --  Coffee comes into general use in Italy.  First coffee
house opens in Venice.

1650 C.E.  --  First coffee house in England is opened at Oxford by
Jacobs.  Coffee introduced into Vienna.

1652 C.E.  --  First coffee house in London opened by Pasqua Rosce in
St. Michael's Alley, Cornhill.  He also produces the first advertisement
for coffee, the handbill, The Vertue of the Coffee Drink.

Bon Chance
Bear