SC - SC Feast n the law

Ron Martino Jr yumitori at marsweb.com
Thu Nov 27 09:02:32 PST 1997

> If it comes to a legal argument we are feeding them for money. I think
> the point at which that occurs is when you put food on a plate, but it is
> certainly the case if we are doing preparation of any sort.
>
> If we were organising a private dinner party amongst a group of friends,
> it may be different. But where it _can_ be construed as a public event,
> we have a legal problem. (Of course it also depends where you are. But in
> Australia and Europe, and I suspect in North America, there are legal
> guidelines.) The situation may be analagous to a cricket clubhaving a
> fundraiser BBQ. I think mostpeople ignore it, but should a litigious
> person get food-poisoning...
>
> Charles Ragnar

Haifuku!

	I've succeeded in getting the local university to define an SCA feast
as a 'potluck', thus letting us use the facilities without having to
have the meal catered by their food service. I imagine the final legal
definition will vary from place to place, but what we do isn't really a
public event, it's a private gathering of friends. Granted, within the
bounds of the Society we make friends easily, but still...

	Do folks in other areas of the Laurel Kingdoms advertise events
anywhere besides SCA publications?

	Yumitori