SC - Re: Candied Ginger

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 2 05:51:11 PST 1997

Stefan li Rous asked:

>So, how was candied ginger used in the Middle Ages? As a candy? In
>particular foods? I'm not sure how to categorize candied ginger as a
>food item. I have used it in mead, but I don't know that it was used
>that way then.

Thomas Dawson (1596) has it as part of the banquet (dessert) course. My
assumption is that the candied version was used as a confection just as
candied cubebs, cinnamon, nutmeg, anise and coriander seeds, etc. were
used.  Petits Propos Culinaires, a number of years ago, had an article
that included some information on the amount of sweets that were taken
on campaign by various warriors (dukes, counts, bishops).  The figure
is quite high.  A number of specific confections were mentioned; ginger
was not one, but neither were a number of other confections.

Comfits (comfets) were also used as garnishes to several dishes besides
being eaten by themselves as a candy.  One might suspect that candied
ginger was used that way in very late period.

All this got me to wanting some candied ginger... Just bought three
races of it.  Now I have to stay off the computer and make it into a
confection!

Alys Katharine