SC - food mills

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Nov 3 06:26:24 PST 1997

Charles McCN wrote:

> Would these be the same as the technique of putting stuff through a
> strainer with the back of a spoon?

More or less, depending on how fine the strainer is.

> Which would presumably have a similar effect to squeezing it through
> cheesecloth (though I guess a little less of teh solids would come
> through. Certainly I would not expect anything as fibrous as garlic skin)

Yupperoo.

> I'm just trying to relate this back to medieval cooking technology and
> techniques - I don't know of them using the wire strainers that we have
> in our kitchens.

Perforated sheet-metal colanders appear to have been used in period, and
modern chinois strainers (a conical strainer of fine wire mesh, usually,
something like a heavier-duty jelly bag) as well as a large, open,
drum-style flour sieve (a wide, flat cylinder with mesh across one side)
would be similar to period strainers.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com