SC - why hew isn't hue in french...

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Mon Nov 3 14:06:42 PST 1997

The reason we know that although the English translation of the earlier
French recipe uses a word that might be interptreted as either "hew"
(chop in pieces) or "hue" (color) it does not really mean "hue" (color) is
that the word is translated from the French and the French word that it is
translated from means -only- "chop in pieces", never "add color to".

The original French is:
"e festes vostre past rouler sur une table e pus copez les en
plusurs parties"

The most literal tranlation I can make of this is:
"and make your paste to roll on a table and enable to cut it en several
parts"

The verb in question is "copez" which the medieval translator put into
English as "hew" (thus the confusion) but which in French means clearly to
cut in parts.

elaina