SC - venison

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at ki.se
Mon Nov 3 20:51:57 PST 1997

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Charles McCN wrote:

> But would it have been the practice to field dress? I am under the
> impression that meat is meant to be hung for a while (Anyway, I hang deer
> for a week or so before I cook it) and that would enable one to take it
> home and have the servants do the job later. At any rate the butcher
> seems to manage fine. Not that it really matters anyway...

Different things; you have to remove the GI-tract (and other internal
organs), or it will spoil. Once that is done you could leave it as is,
preferably using a stick to hold the body cavity open, and skinning (don't
want to waste all that nice hide, do you?). Then you hang it.

It is also a matter of weight; why lug all that waste around?

If you are carefull (i.e. leave the knife out of it once you have made
the nessesary cuts) you can remove the hide without cutting into the
meat, which will help prevent insects from getting to it.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
Tum pultus sicissentem ur ne lus sem ittibus profugnatreius.