Re- SC - food mills

Tue Nov 4 06:33:49 PST 1997

>>I'm just trying to relate this back to medieval cooking technology and
>>techniques - I don't know of them using the wire strainers that we have
>>in our kitchens.
>
>I asked about medieval strainers a while back but let's try again. Anyone
>seen any pictures or descriptions of medieval strainers? In the earlier
>discussion, some people were of the opinion that these were of horsehair
>but didn't know if the horsehair was woven or simply laid across something.
>
>So, anybody have info on something different or more or this?
>
>Stefan li Rous
>these were woven or just

The previous discussion was about sieves and sifting flour in which the
following message was sent:

The discussion on baking, ovens and bread asked about period
sifters/sieves.  I don't know what anyone else was using, but Ican tell
you
what the Vikings used (and in fact, Swedes in the countryside still use
even today)... they used a round, cup-shaped sieve made by naalbinding,
utilizing horsehair fiber.  Such sieves were used for sifting flour, and
for straining milk.  Milk straining is how most seem to be used in the
present day, but archaeological examples have been found with ground
grain
trapped in the fibers.

Wes ?u Hel (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

The horsehair sieves probably would not stand up to abuse that would be
placed on a strainer or collander.

Bear