SC - Mustard Soup: Finis!

Kathleen M Everitt kathe1 at juno.com
Tue Nov 4 19:20:57 PST 1997

>As for the small book with illustrations, I can only say, AAARRGGGHH!
>believe I used to own that book. I recall it was perhaps 50 Middle
>English recipes, with notes, but no adaptations made for modern
>kitchens
>(hurrah!), with illustrations, generally of specific dishes or
>techniques involved in their production, which was eminently cool. I
>remember in detail the illustration of how a cockentryce is
>constructed,
>and one of an arm and hand, dripping cryspe batter off the figertips
>into a pot of oil.

Ah-Ha!!! You mean I have a book that Adamantius wants and doesn't have???
It's called Early English Recipes selected from The Harleian Ms. 279 of
about 1430. With Wood engravings by Margaret Webb and an introduction by
Sir Stephen Gaselee. Cambridge at the University Press 1937. That's the
entire Title Page. And yes, the cockentrice illustration is cool, even if
the pig is too cute to eat.

>I wish I had that book today, although I suspect it might have been
>one
>of the Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery Books, or, if my recollections of
>the illustrations provide a clue, a selection of recipes from The
>Forme
>of Cury.
>>

>Adamantius

Julleran