SC - Thousand Year Old Eggs

Jasper Fieth cem8780 at omega.uta.edu
Wed Nov 5 00:07:05 PST 1997

I had to relate this story:

We were one of the brave groups who weathered the monsoons of Three
Kings... milady Anastacia, milady Pipa, and I were the ones guilty of the
first meal of the day, to be served to Clan Firefall. We served Finnish
Berry Pudding, Finnish Stollen, Apple Butter, eggs-to-order, and 1000 year
old eggs.

The 1000 year olds were not a roaring success at first -- no one really
knew what they were, and various cracks about what was IN 1000 year old
eggs abounded. Then some brave souls decided to try a few. Of the four
dozen we did, about two and a half vanished before I decided to prevent
salmonella from appearing and performed the lesser banishing ritual of
Oscar the Grouch (ie -- tossed them into the trash)

Best comments:
"Gee, they taste just like hard boiled eggs!"

"If these are 1000 year old eggs, I wanna see the 1000 year old chicken
that laid them!"

"Wooow... cool patterns! How'd you do that?"
"Really really tiny paintbrushes..."

{Pipa the Mischevious talking to one of our younger members}
"Ok, so do you want a 200, a 300, a 500, or a 1000 year old egg?"
(Christiana considers) "mmm, I want a 200 year old one. That one."
"That's a 300 year old egg." <hands her the egg>
"Just about right."

"Why are these 1000 year old eggs and those 200 year old ones?"
"Because those were thrown into the tea at 5:30 and we had to leave at 6."

Esko Sola who would gladly donate another brisket if someone needs it for
a stone soup

***
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you tried