SC - WASSAIL--Is There Documentation?

LHG,JRG liontamr at postoffice.ptd.net
Wed Nov 5 09:17:48 PST 1997

Greetings.

As a child I was taught a (supposedly) ancient and quite pretty song:

Here we come a-wassailing
amongst the leaves so green.
Here we go a-sailing
so steady to be seen.
Love and Joy come to you
And to you your wassail, too.
May God bless you and send you
a happy New Year.
May God send you a happy New Year.

I am wondering if this a piece of Victorian Fiction, or if it is a
genuine revival of  older practices, or if this "tradition" went on
pretty much uninterrupted in England throughout our period. I have a lot
of sources for cooking, but only the modern ones make mention of Wassail
Bowl recipes. I find that rather curious. Help, anyone?

Lady Aoife Finn