SC - honey and peanut

Wed Nov 5 18:22:18 PST 1997

><<
> Gee, we always called this "Pooh butter" at camp - haven't had it in ages.
>  Since peanuts are either African or New World (anybody?), I'm quite sure
> it's not period, though!
>
> Brangwayna >>
>
>I think you are right, peanuts were not eaten in period (AFAK)  but the truth
>is that I do not eat period food every moment of my life.
>
>Tyrca

According to Tannahill, groundnuts or peanuts are of American origin and
were introduced along with maize into Africa in the 16th Century by the
Portugese who used them as cheap provisions for the slave trade.

I've seen a different source which said they went from Africa to the
Americas.

Of the two, I'll place my bets with Tannahill, the scholarship is
better.

Bear