SC - Verjus in the Current Period

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Wed Nov 5 18:39:49 PST 1997

Greetings to those Noble Kitchen Toilers of the Laurel Kingdoms,

In other words: Hi

In today's New York Times (11/05/97) in the Dining In/Out
section on page F5, there appeared an article entitled "Verjus,
a Tart Splash for all Dishes"

Some citations from the article [no, they did not quote any
primary sources <G>]:

	"Navarro Vineyards, in Mendocino County, CA, began making
	verjus at the request of the Booneville Hotel in Mendocino.
	'I have a doctorate in medieval history, so I knew what it
	was,' said Deborah Cahn, who owns the winery with her
	husband Ted Bennett.  Verjus is often listed in recipes
	from the Middle Ages."

	"Verjus is a natural byproduct of winemaking and has
	undoubtedly been made as long as wine has been made.
	To strengthen grape vines and allow them to produce
	full flavored fruit, winemakers often thin the vines
	when the grapes are just beginning to ripen.  When
	this early crop of unripe grapes is pressed, verjus
	is the result"

	Verjus can be ordered from the producers at about $10
	per bottle.

	Fusion foods
	Rutherford, CA
	800-297-0686

	Navarro Vineyards and Winery
	Philo, CA
	800-537-9463

	Sagapon Vineyards
	Sagaponack, NY
	516-537-5106

They are making white, red and chardonay verjus

I will try to find out if the entire article is online.

I am,
Vinchenzio Martinus di Mazza,
In Service to the Dream

- --