Re- SC - kegs and barrels

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Wed Nov 5 22:59:22 PST 1997

Noemi said:

>Thank you for the reference!  Now, all I have to do is find one for using
>pitch to seal leather. . .

Sigh. No one believes me. sniff. But the Florilegium is a good place to start
a search. Looking in one of the three files I mentioned, horn-msg turns up
the following message:

- --------------------
Subject: RE: Cleaning out a cow horn - how to?
Date: 8 JUN 94 06:29:25 CST

...  I DON't know
how to polish it, but I will agree with the need to seal it by some means
(in one of the leatherwork Compleat Anachronists there's a recipe for a
pitch sealer that's probably better even than wax)...

Cedric van Kiesterzijl

This is at least a starting point. The Compleat Anachronists have a spotty
record for accuracy and referances, but the bibliography or footnotes of this one
might be a good place to start.

Stefan li Rous
mark_harris at email.sps.mot.com

PS: However the organization of the Florilegium is sometimes haphazard having
been continually adapted over time. Even I don't always know which is the best
file to look in first.