Re- SC - cleaning horns

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Thu Nov 6 22:45:08 PST 1997

Angelique commented:

When you say 'fill with cider, are you suggesting what my first drink
out of the horn should be, or is the cider there to form some reaction?
Is this hard cider or just fresh?  Are you sealing the inside in any
steps other than those mentionned?

Many people apparently use variations of Charles' techniques. Some use
a cheap wine and leave it in the horn for awhile. Some seal the horn
with pitch or wax while others do not. Take a look at this file in the
CRAFTS section of Stefan's Florilegium for more details:

horn-msg          (95K)  7/24/96    Working with horn. drinking horns.

I'm afraid I missed the original request, but if it was about drinking
vessels in general or Norse ones in particular, then this file in the
NORSE section also has some good information:

N-drink-ves-msg    (9K) 10/16/96    Norse drinking vessels.

Stefan li Rous