SC - Game meat

Fri Nov 7 09:14:25 PST 1997

>On Fri, 7 Nov 1997, Decker, Terry D. wrote:
>
>> As a point of interest, if anyone does get a moose to cook, the meat was
>> greasy and smoked quite a bit when roasted.
>>
>> We got around this by grilling the moose outdoors.  Moose steak and eggs
>> for breakfast is quite a treat at -25 degrees F.
>
>What parts of the moose? Moose, being game, tends to be fairly low-fat.
>
>/UlfR
>
>--
>Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
>Tum pultus sicissentem ur ne lus sem ittibus profugnatreius.

If I remember correctly (it has been about 35 years and at the time I
was operating in blissful ignorance about cuts of meat) , we were
working with loin and shoulder.  The moose would have been shot in late
fall or early winter at a time when it would have had the highest
percentage of body fat.

It may have been that the roasting temperature was too high.
Unfortunately, I get to cook wild game so infrequently that my knowledge
of the subject is maginal at best.

Since no moose live in Oklahoma (except, possibly, on a game park) I
doubt if I will have the opportunity to really experiment.

Bear