SC - Re: candied ginger)

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Fri Nov 7 15:19:25 PST 1997

<<
 I don't know specifically about comfits, but the recipe for candied peel
 says spread them out to dry. Also, rolling them in sugar keeps them from
 sticking, not make them stick together. I always roll my peel in sugar if
 I'm in a hurry or it's really humid. I would imagine it would work the
 same way for candied seeds. Roll them in sugar, spread them on cookie
 sheets and let them dry, turning with a spatula occassionally to keep
 them from sticking to the pan. Try putting them in the oven after you
 turn it off from baking something. You don't want to bake them, but the
 residual heat will help them dry out.

     Sure, that's fine for something as large as citrus peels, but the seeds
are relatively tiny, so separating them one by one would be a major task! I'm
afraid of ending up with the "seed brittle" someone mentioned........ ;-)

Ldy Diana