SC - Jameson's heresy :)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Nov 13 09:19:28 PST 1997

Gedney, Jeff wrote:

> I do not regard Jameson's as a "perfectly good whisky".
> I much prefer "La Phroaig" for scotch (a superior singly Islay malt),
> and If you insist on Irish, then "Old Bushmills", or even better "Black
> Bush".
> Now THATS whiskey!!!
>
> Brandu
> -- who knows from whiskey ;-)

Ah, but apparently doesn't acknowledge the fact that comparison between
different styles is a no-no. Comparing a pure, single-malt, pot-stilled
whisky like Laphroaig (admittedly my favorite) with Jameson's or
Bushmills ia akin to comparing Guinness with Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout:
you may have a personal preference of one style over another, but that
doesn't make one classic exemplar of its type better than another.

Both regular Bushmill's and Black Bushmill's, and most of what is
produced by Jameson's for export to the USA, are blends, not single malt
whiskys. They are made from different styles of malt, kilned
differently, fermented differently, and aged differently. That being
said, while my preference is to drink Laphroaig, I still prefer either
Jameson's or Bushmill's (in that order) to any blended Scotch I have
tried. Bushmill's of any description tastes more like blended whisky
than Jameson's does, and is, to me, harsher and less malty.

As for my insistence on Irish whisky in an Irish soup, I will only say
that it seems more appropriate, although I wouldn't say I insist on it.
I would have to say that there are probably more drinkable Scotches out
there than there are drinkable Irish whiskys, but the best of the Irish
whiskys aren't massively inferior to the best of the Scotches. Besides,
I feel that the Irish should be cut a bit of slack for having invented
the stuff in the first place. It's not as if the absentee landlord
system that led to the abandonment of many of the old brewing and
distilling standards was something the Irish chose for themselves.
Bloody Normans  ;  )

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com