SC - Fw: [Mid] Feasts

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Fri Nov 14 06:23:05 PST 1997

A few comments on Outlandish feasts and feasts in general -

I'm a recent Outlander (only been here six years) and participate almost
exclusively in the northern part of the kingdom (the Caerthe community not
the al-barran community) so my comments may be limited by this experience.
With that caveat - it has not been my experience to see many courses of
one dish.  Admittedly, I cook more feasts than I attend, and I and my
guild here in Dragonsspine try to serve two or three courses (plus a
banket table) with at least three or four dishes in each course.
Adamantius (does anyone call him Adam Ant, or is that too far back in the
dawn of animattion?) is correct that we are limited by price and the
diners limited willingness to sit still in not serving longer feasts with
more dishes.

I come from a feast tradition in the East and Atlantia where it's
considered usual to have some planned activity between courses - a set of
dances, some vocal entertainment, a short play or masque, even 'short
court'.  I favor dancing because it lets folks move about and make room
for more food.  In settng up a hall I try hard to leave a space large
enough for at least ten couples to stand up in a duple minor set or to
have a couple of smaller sets.

Elaina