SC - Palate Cleansers

Fri Nov 14 11:02:18 PST 1997

>just recalled a feast I was served maybe 10 years ago, where the
>feast-'crat served a palate cleansers between removes. I'm wondering if this
>was a period practice--I don't recall ever coming across something like this
>before. Any comments?
>
>In this cas it was tangerine halves, scooped out and the pulp mixed with
>unseweetened whipped cream, and re-filled, garnished with zest. It was
>delightful. I'm fairly  sure it was not "period" though.
>
>Thoughts?
>

>Aoife
>To reply, you must first remove the "nonsense." from the return address.

That sounds like an Ehrlich du Battenhelm feast.  He was fond of fine
sauces for the meats and palate cleansers between courses.  I don't
believe he ever documented the use of palate cleansers in period.  He
was more interested in creating fabulous sensations for the palate than
absolute authenticity.

Bear