SC - Black Oak Keep feast

Peters, Rise J. PETERSR at spiegel.becltd.com
Mon Nov 17 11:24:22 PST 1997

Gunthar wrote:
>>You people have made me a period foods snob. I didn't even take credit for
the
meal, I just cooked it.

>>It was very tasty though.

I know we go around and around on this question of whether SCA feasts
should/must/may be "period" or even more narrowly "medieval."  But I've had
a wide range of SCA feasts over the last, oh, eight years, and my feeling at
this point is that

(1) the best thing is a really tasty, 100% medieval feast;

(2) the second best thing is a really tasty feast with some 100% medieval
dishes (identified) and a nice mix of "peri-oid" foods;

(3) the third best thing is a really tasty feast that makes no claims to
being medieval or even peri-iod, BECAUSE

(4) the =worst= thing is an assertedly 100% medieval feast =that doesn't
taste good to the folks who have paid to eat it.=  And I argue that this is
the worst thing because it taints the water for all the medieval food that
will follow it.  Whether it is meat that isn't cooked properly or dishes
that, one after another, taste the same, it'll serve to turn folks off.

Gunthar, you feed the folks really tasty food that they recognize, and when
you get ready to give them a "medieval" dish, they'll approach it with the
attitude that it'll probably be fine because everything else you've ever
cooked for them was good.  Just sneak those period dishes in on them, one at
a time, and sooner or later you'll have made converts.

=Caitlin