SC - Beer (from whiskey thread)

kat kat at kagan.com
Mon Nov 17 12:25:15 PST 1997

Angelique writes:

> If you find one that tastes good to a 'non-beer drinker', let me know.
> Everyone always wants to 'go out for a beer'. I can't stand the stuff.
> Once, though, I tried a 'strawberry wheat' beer at a microbrewery lunch
> pub, and found it palatable.  You might want to try that kind of thing.
> (a 'fruit'wheat beer, not necessarily a microbrewery lunch pub) I will
> say, however, when I commented that "Hey, this beer isn't bad...", the
> response was, "That ain't beer." Bon Chance

Angelique, I think I have your answer.

I too am generally a "non-beer-drinker."  Can't stand the stuff as a rule; it's bitter and the aftertaste makes me shudder.  I can't abide dry wine either; and when I go out I almost always get hard cider because I have such an overwhelming sweet tooth.

But the other night we went to a **really** nice German restaurant  (Stammtisch, if any of you are ever in Monterey, CA) and well, I *had* to drink a beer with my Jagerschnitzel because that's how it's done.  So I asked the waiter to recommend a beer to someone who hates bitter beer and dry wine.  He smiled and brought me Spaten's Hefeweissbier.  Not bad; very mild; no aftertaste.  I'm finding myself ordering it now, when I'm somewhere that serves German beer and I can't get any good old English hard cider...

I believe there's an inferior American cousin popping up at various breweries called Hefeweizen.  I've tried a couple of them but I'd still recommend the Spaten.  (No, i have no affiliation with the company.)

Give it a shot.  You never know.

	- k