SC - Andalusian cookery

Ron Martino Jr yumitori at marsweb.com
Mon Nov 17 16:34:22 PST 1997

<HTML>
Haikufu!

<P>    My Lady will be head cook for a feast this spring;
her first time doing so. I have been requested to serve as the 'expert
instructor/assistant'. The autocrats have requested lamb, which suggests
Islamic cookery, but we wish to avoid cooking a generic 'middle eastern'
feast. Instead, we are going to serve Andalusian dishes. Since this is
not a time and place I am highly familiar with, we have a few questions
- -
<BR>
<UL>
<LI>
I have the fifth edition of Cariadoc-dono's <U>Miscellany</U>, online access
to the current version, as well as access to Stefan-dono's Florilegium.
Are there other sources to look for?</LI>

<LI>
What do we know of the manner in which feasts were served in Andalusia?</LI>

<LI>
Did cooking in Andalusia vary greatly from that of other Islamic regions,
or would it be reasonable to serve Islamic dishes that were not from Andalusian
cookbooks?</LI>

<LI>
The autocrats originally thought of serving roast lamb. The dishes from
the <U>Miscellany</U> are more stews. How were roasted meats served?</LI>

<LI>
What non cooked dishes should we serve? Feta, olives, dates, etc?</LI>

<LI>
What about breads?</LI>

<LI>
What beverages should we serve?</LI>