SC - typo?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Nov 18 08:48:44 PST 1997

Cindy Renfrow wrote:

> Hello!  In Curye on Inglische, pp.155-6, there is a recipe for "To make
> sturgyn".   If anyone has the book handy, does the first sentence say "Take
> [th]e houghys of vele and caluys feete and sethe hem in hony." ??

Yep, thass what it says, all right.

> I have several other refs for this recipe of mock sturgeon, but none call
> for cooking the meat in honey. Have I made a typo?

More likely a scribal or translator's error. Hieatt and Butler seem to
feel that there is an error someplace, and that such recipes usually
call for the meat to be simmered in a mixture of wine and vinegar, or
perhaps just wine, with vinegar added to the sauce.

I wonder if there may have been a variety of wine whose name resembles
the French word, "miel", which might easily have been translated into
English by a non-cooking scribe as "hony". I haven't found one, but that
doesn't mean there isn't one.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com