SC - Wine in Cooking

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Tue Nov 18 20:45:05 PST 1997

Your pardon milord, but I must disagree: there are bad wines. Comercially
Mogen David 20/20 is called "Mad Dog" for a reason, and there was some
truly HORRIBLE stuff I tasted in Florida one time called "Blackjack"
because it was 21% alcohol, made out of oranges. Also, a friend made a
batch here in SE Ohio that was so bad that I sat in dead silence for a
minute or so trying not to lose my composure, or vomit in public. When
asked by the maker what I thought, out of politeness, I said it was
interesting. When I got home, I found out that his kids had loaded up 4
bottles of it for me in my car because I was the only person who'd tried it
who didn't run screaming out of the garage. I did find a use for it,
though... I used it to remove old varnish from a chair I was refinishing.
Nowadays, I'd just save it for Pennsic and leave it at Vlad's encampment.
Perhaps you're right, there is no WRONG wine, depending what you intend to
use it for.

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: There are no WRONG wines, we all have our favorites.  My lady and I have
: been making wines for a good number of years, and we make both sweet and
: dry ones.  When I am feeling in a complex mood, or want to study my wine,
: will get out a complex wine, and for good old everyday enjoyment, I have
my
: standbys.  There are complex sweet wines as well as dry ones, ( a 1947
: Chateau d'Yquem sauterne comes to mind), and simple dry ones as well as
: sweet ones.  Wines also do not have to be expensive to be good.
: Just my 2 pence worth.
:
                              Jonathus