SC - Literal translation-cow's eyes

Par Leijonhufvud pkl at absaroka.obgyn.ks.se
Tue Nov 18 21:31:57 PST 1997

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997 LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> << Me, too! (Sorry, Gunthar!) In general I agree with the above, but wish
>  > to point out that sometimes (SOMETIMES) a literal, word-for-word
>  > translation, can lead to all kinds of trouble.  >>

But that is why you have footnotes, margin-notes, or commentary
interspersed in the text. I fully agree that the original can be totally
useless (or at least misleading) without the context (OOP example; the
mustard herring example called for "vinegar spirits", but that is,
according to the bottle, 12.5% acetic acid).

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
PGP fingerprint = 76 3B 11 28 79 39 87 C0  DC 4C 1F 4C C0 1F 1E 89
Tum pultus sicissentem ur ne lus sem ittibus profugnatreius.