SC - paid reservations?

margali margali at 99main.com
Wed Nov 19 14:28:49 PST 1997

> Part and parcel of the reservations question is the issue of
> cancellations. Ideally they should be made in advance, as far in
> advance
> as possible, in fact. However, in an imperfect but all too real world,
>
> they are sometimes made on the morning of the event. Frequently
> someone
> will show up at the check-in and say that their friend, Lord or Lady
> Stickinthemud, will be unable to attend, and the porter, troll, etc.,
> should please feel free to sell that seat elsewhere. Sometimes event
> staff will allow reservations to be transferrable, in a case where a
> group has made a reservation for several people, have a cancellation,
> and then wish to invite someone else in place of the person who
> couldn't
> make it. One might argue that the people on a waiting list should have
>
> right of first refusal in such cases. Sometimes they do, sometimes
> not.
>

> Adamantius

In my household, we often have the custom of 'buying' an entire table,
on the basis of the habit we have developed of convincing people we know
mundanely into coming and trying an event at no cost to them, garb,
feast, feastgear and all. for a couple of very lean years we had to stop
the practice, but we are getting back into it. we have never really had
trouble with any autocrat-we explain at the time we make reservations
what we are doing-only once did we have to resort to making 'lord doe
and lady ewe' reservations. it is also great if we run into any new
people who wander by and like what they see...I think that over the past
15 years, we have gotten about 70-75 people to join up.

margali