Re- SC - typo?

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Thu Nov 20 16:16:52 PST 1997

Adamantius said:

Again, it's possible. It's just that out of several almost identical
recipes for mock sturgeon made from veal odds and ends, all of them call
for the meat to be cooked in vine and/or vinegar, except this one. That
makes things a bit suspicious, that's all.
- --------------

I would tend to go with the wine or vinegar since that seems to be the
most common, but the other could have been a regional variation. I
guess that is part of what makes food history so fun/frustrating.

As a modern example of regional variation, I have a friend who grew up
in Japan because his father was US military. He said the best thing (in his
opinion) that ever happened to Japanese hamburgers was when McDonalds
started opening outlets in Japan. Prior to this, all you could get were the
Japanese hamburgers. The Japanese apparently cook everything, including
hamburgers, in fish oil and thus the hamburgers tasted of fish.

Stefan li Rous
RSVE60 at email.sps.mot.com