SC - green beans

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Nov 20 20:19:58 PST 1997

<< But do favas and green beans look alike? >>

No. They look similar. They are both legumes and have the basic
characteristics of all legumes. This iclus des but is not restricted to
flower structure, podded seeds, root nodules and, in the case of favas and
New World beans, SIMILAR l;eaf structure.. As noted in a previous post the
growing season is longer in New World types. Favas generally require cooler
growing temperatures and finish producing before hot weather sets in.

<<I thought favas were big, tan colored things similar to lima beans. In that
case, I don't think they look like or would be substituted for fava beans.
But I may not be right on what fava beans look like and will look for some.>>

You are right for the most part except you are forgetting that the fava is
surrounded by a darker colored sheath which is usually removed. The resulting
bean is SIMILAR in shape to N.W. beans, that is more or less kidney shaped.
Cooking times and techniques are almost identical for dried beans of both
families and mouth feel and texture are almost identical

 <<The only green beans I know have seeds a bit smaller than green peas and
are
 encased in a little green sack or tube, fresh, canned or frozen. >>

There are many varieties of beans> Red kidney beans, Great Northeren, Lima,
Black beans, white kidney beans and my absolute favorite "horticultural"
beans which are white with burgundy markings, just to name a few. All of
these varieties vary in size and to a lesser extent shape. All can be
consumed in the green, immature state pod and all. All can be grown until
mature and used as a dried bean. Most are definitely NOT smaller than peas
with the notible exception of black eyed peas, black beans and the miniature
form of Great Northern (a name I can't recall) which is used in the Current
Middle Ages for the making of real Boston Baked Beans. And, yes, the brans
you are to that come in a "small" green tube including the tube is
collectively called a "green bean". The tuny seeds you notice are embryonic
forms of what would have matured into the familiar dry bean you are familiar
with.

<<If this is the immature seed, are the more mature seeds sold today? Perhaps
under a different name?>>

Generally, yes. See the above varities mentioned. For the most part, whether
beans are grown for eating when immature and encased in green tube-like
structures or whether they will be allowed to mature into seeds and shelled
out is a decision of the gardener depending on whether food needs are
immediate or not.

 <<If they do look similar then yes, I agree. Either way, the evidence that
you
 point to of them being used may override this appearance argument anyway.

 Thank you for this useful info.

No problem. Hope the above may clarify things a bit more and help in
following the line of reasoning in my theory:-)

Ras