SC - SC medieval soft drinks

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Thu Nov 20 23:17:53 PST 1997

Charles asked:

This sort of follows an older thread. What do people want for soft drinks?

Fruit Juice? Milk? Water? Coke? Lemonade? tea? coffee?

It's not actually obvious to me - I tend to drink beer, cider, mead or wine.
If I want a soft drink I tend to watered wine or water, as I can justify
those as period. But not everyone takes the period drinks thing
seriously. I also happily drink milk, which I think is probably alright
for northern europe (although I confess to being ignorant).

There are other possiblities. Such as the serkanjebum (sp?) the persian
mint drink, lemon drinks, teas made of various leaves (not the modern
tea), honey drinks and various fruit drinks.

As to what I drink, it is often diet cola. Not period, but as a diabetic,
many other drinks, period and not, have too much sugar for me.

For some good ideas on non-alcoholic drinks for SCA events try this file
in the BEVERAGES section of Stefan's Florilegium:
beverages-NA-msg  (72K)  8/ 4/97    Non-alcoholic beverages.

Stefan li Rous