SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #447

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Fri Nov 21 12:44:53 PST 1997

Adamantius wrote:
I have decided that the relative extravagance of
>buying prime beef from a prime butcher, who will charge $2.50 - $3 for
>that same pound of eye round, but who will also custom cut all the meat
>I buy, season / marinate it if I wish, and throw in bones for the
>stockpot (also custom cut), beef or pork fat (again, cut or ground as
>requested), sausage casings, caul fat, and the occasional tray of veal
>kidney or sweetbreads for free, is worth the extra money. (BTW: he also
>usually includes a cup of coffee, a loaf ot two of semolina bread, and a
>small assortment things like prosciutto, mortadella, etc., for the
>kitchen staff to munch on, also gratis.) Certainly I have heard no
>complaints.

If you point this gentleman out to me, I'll sell the farm and move to NYC
and marry him! That means I'll have to divorce Gilbert. Of course, since
Gilbert is a mizerl----I mean a parsimonious old Scot, he'd probably beat me
to the altar with the guy, regardless of his sex!

Wow. Ten bucks a head. When I think that I live less than 100 miles from
you, the mind boggles. I get half that for a really extravagant feast.
Sometimes I have to come up with lunch out of that budget, too. I frequently
donate a lot of stuff......my spices and herbs, a sotelty, etc. I suppose
that's the difference between the two states, metro NYC and Rural Pennsylvania.

We've been very lucky with site fees. the most we ever paid was $800.00, but
it is usually substantially less. We just found a site that seats 400 for
150 bucks.

Aoife