Unit alert! (was: SC - Long-Period food, bread, etc.)

Fri Nov 21 13:31:56 PST 1997

>> can tell, bakers prior to this century used about 1 package of yeast to
>> 2 pounds of flour and made extensive use of sponges and extended rising
>
>When you say; "an envelpe of yeast"; just how much yeast is this? If
>given the amounts we non-US cooks have some chance of figuring out what
>is equivalent, but not when it comes to packages.
>
>/UlfR
>(Who buys yeast is 50 gram cakes)
>
>--
>Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
>PGP fingerprint = 76 3B 11 28 79 39 87 C0  DC 4C 1F 4C C0 1F 1E 89
>Tum pultus sicissentem ur ne lus sem ittibus profugnatreius.

The package of yeast under discussion is a 1/4 oz of granulated dry
active yeast, which is approximately 7 grams.  The packages, which come
in strips of three, can be purchased in almost any grocery in the U.S.
Compressed yeast, which is sold in a 1 or 2 oz cake, is less common and
is usually kept under refrigeration.  Bulk yeast, except for a 4 oz jar,
is rarely found in groceries.

Because it keeps and performs exceptional well, the dry active yeast is
the most common in the U.S. and the measurement by package is a recipe
convention for the casual home baker.

Bear