SC - ESTURGON "CONTREFAIT"

DUNHAM Patricia R Patricia.R.DUNHAM at ci.eugene.or.us
Sat Nov 22 14:03:00 PST 1997

Just occured to me... "contrefait de" = counterfeited with/by

Actually, the first time I came across this term someone was having a
contest for a PERIOD FILK song, that is, to find period examples of
period words  B set to the music of period song A -- hmm, the word she
was using was actually "contrefact", I think... but the sense is
obviously the same.

Chimene
 ----------
| From: Robert Beaulieu
| To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
| Cc: renfrow at skylands.net
| Subject: SC - ESTURGON CONTREFAIT DE VEEL From Le Menagier de Paris,
p. 200
| Date: Saturday, November 22, 1997 12:11PM
|
| Cindy Renfrow wrote:
| >
| > >From Le Menagier de Paris, p. 200:
| > ESTURGON CONTREFAIT DE VEEL pour six escuelles.  Prenez le soir
devant, ou
| > le bien matin, six testes de veel sans escorcher, et les plumez en
eaue
| > chaude comme un cochon, et les cuisiez en vin, et mettez une chopine
de
| > vinaigre et du sel dedans, et faites boulir tant qu'il soit tout
pourry de
| > cuire; puis laissiez les testes refroidier et ostez les os.  Puis
prenez un
| > quartier de bonne grosse toile, et mettez tout dedans, c'est
assavoir l'une
| > sur l'autre en la mendre place que vous pourrez, puis cousez de bon
fort
| > fil, comme un oreillier quarré, puis le mettez entre deux belles ais
et le
| > chargiez très fort, et laissiez la nuit en la cave; et puis le
tailliez par
| > lesches, la couenne dehors comme venoison, et mettez du percil et du
| > vinaigre, et ne mettez que deux lesches en chascun plat.  Item, qui
ne
| > trouveroit assez testes, l'en le peut faire d'un vele entrepelé.
| >
| > Lord Robert, can you translate this last one for us?
|

| > Cindy/Sincgiefu
| > renfrow at skylands.net
| > http://www.alcasoft.com/renfrow/
|

| 	Sure
| 	Here it is ( but keep in mind I am no cook and I am not a
translator ),
| I will indicate the words that I do not know (I do not have time to
| recherch at this point but it is likely that you all cooks know what
| htey are, if so please repost corrected for the ones that would not,
if
| not I will gladely do the reacherch later.):
|

| 			ESTURGON CONTREFAIT DE VEEL pour six escuelles
|
| 		 CUNTEFIT STURGEON OF VEEL??? (VEAL?) for six plates
| (???fake sturgeon???)
|

| 	The night before or early in the morning take 6 veal ??(veel)
heads
| without skining??? (escorcher) and in hot water, like a pig, take the
| feathers off (plumez) (likely referring to taking the hairs off since
| veals like pigs have no feathers , at least not up in Quebec LOL) cook
| them in wine and add a pint of vinegar and salt in it, boil till it is
| al roten in copper (tout pourry de cuivre)(probally falling apart like
| rothen meat, the copper part surely refers to the color be it
| bronw/golden like shined copper  or green like oxidise copper beats
me)
| then let the heads cool donw and take the bones out. Then take a
quarter
| of heavy canvas, put  it all in as much as you can , then sew it with
| tough threads like a square pillow, then put it between 2 "ais" (these
| are bords used in a press) and press hard and leave it (in press?) for
| the night in the basement (cool?); then cut it in "lesches" (thin
| layers), "la couenne (couenne is a pork skin) dehors comme venoison
| (game)" )leaving the skin around on the outside like games), add
parsley
| and vinegar and pour 2 pieces on each dish (plates).
| Option: if you do not find enough heads, you (peut faire) can use???
| (make???) a "vele entrpelé"???  ( sorry I do not know what could this
| be, a guess  would be the "abbats" (gutting? (liver, heart, kidney) or
| the "lost" part (left overs or "soup" parts, basically lower quality
| parts).
|
| 		In service,
|
| 			Lord Robert de QuelQuepart
|
| P.S.: I did not forget I commited myself for some translations uf Le
| Ménagier

SCA-Cooks".