SC - red cheese and contrafact

Ian van Tets IVANTETS at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Tue Nov 25 11:18:24 PST 1997

Hi people,

according to a herbal I came across many years ago (and no, I didn't
keep a reference, silly me) lady's bedstraw, which was apparently
used by the celts on a fairly regular basis for cheesemaking, leaves
a red colour in the cheese, and this is the precedent for Red
Leicester cheese.  Now I realise that this little piece of drivel is
of no historical import whatsoever, but it might give you somewhere
to start in looking for justification of red cheeses.  Anatto,
though, is a totally different story...

Contrafact is a standard term in early music, and basically means
filk.  You have a piece of music, you put your own words to it, and
voila, you're a composer.  Translate into cookery.

Incidentally, if anyone wants Middle High German translated, I do
have a degree in the topic, though to be honest, I don't think such a
thing necessary.  If you know English and New High, it really isn't a
problem.  Now Gothic is a challenge, but then it's all theological
treatises...

Is there a reason the recipes for Chawettys, etc that came just
recently were all truncated?  Could the whole of each recipe be
re-sent?  Many thanks.

Cairistiona