SC - Feast Budgets

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Tue Nov 25 17:10:56 PST 1997

>I don't -think- I've seen a response to this?  sometimes wonder if I'm
>getting everything...
>
>But I happened to have my little hardbound EETS copy of Two 15th C
>Cookery Books in hand this week, and I think the pork-and-cheese
>Chawetty is the last one mentioned in the index (there's a listing for
>Chawetties and about 4 recipes given); so it's probably in Take 1000
>Eggs, too?
>
>Hoping I'm remembering this right 8-)
>
>Chimene
<snip>

Yes, an interpretation of Chawettys is in Vol. 1 pp. 122-3.

Some folks have disagreed with my literal translation of 'grene chese'.
Although 'grene chese' typically refers to *new* cheese in manuscripts of
the period, Harleian MS. 279 consistently refers to new cheese as
'croddys', and 'cruddys [th]at comen fro [th]e deye'.  I therefore
interpreted 'grene chese'  literally as a description of the color, and was
rewarded with a delicious recipe.

Yours in haste,

Cindy/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net