SC - (LONG) Cuskynoles II: The Terror Returns!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Nov 2 07:42:13 PST 1997

Tyrca at aol.com wrote:

> As I mentioned earlier after my sailing through my OED (an interesting
> experience, but not one that really has any definitive "truth" to it) I found
> that Cuskyn was a variation of Cruskyn, an OF (old french) word meaning small
> pot and may have come to mean some sort of measure.  If this is true, is it
> possible that each of these hold a portion of fruit equal to a cruskyn?  I
> would think from some of the other references that it might be about the size
> of a shot glass.  This is not from my cooking experience, but from my shotgun
> education (meaning scattered, not forced) as an English teacher.  It just
> seems to be the way the words evolved.  That, then might make each "hill"
> quite large, and perhaps a portion on its own.  Am I on the wrong hill with
> this?

I haven't the faintest, I'm afraid. I guess it's possible, but we'll
probably never know. Several people have come up with variatiant
interpretations, some of which stick to the stated details of the
recipe, and some which don't. I guess if it's possible to have a cruskyn
of filling inside a piece of pastry approximately 3 inches by 6, then I
don't see why not. But, again, we'll probably never know.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com