SC - Kuskenoles and Cuskynoles

Charles McCN charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Sun Nov 2 17:20:23 PST 1997

There is, in the same source as the Kuskenoles (Which is ed. Hieatt and
_Robin Jones_, not H & ???) a recipe as follows:

E une autre manere de viaunde ke ad a noun ravieles. Pernez bel flur e
sucre e festes un past; e pernez bon formage e bure e braez ensemble e
puys pernez persil e sage e eschalouns e mincez les menu e jettez les
dedenz la fassure; e puys pernez formage mye e metez desus e desuz e puys
petez au furn.

(Translated by H&J as:)
Here is another kind of dish which is called ravioli. Take fine flour and
sugar and make pasta* dough; take good cheese and butter and cream them
together. Then take parsley, sage and shallots, chop them finely and put
them in teh filling [ie the cheese&butter]*; put the *boiled*ravioli*on*a
bed*of* grated cheese and cover tehm with more grated cheese and then
reheat them.

*I don't see where these come from - charles

Anyway, this includes mention of filling, which is usually put into
things, rather than laid on things. It occurs to me that by contrast, my
initially not at all serious idea about folding the things up so you have
a layered fruit pastry (A _little_ like a jam-roll cake) may not be so
far off. It makes sense of the diagram, anyway.

And also I am quite happy about the idea that a French speaking
anglo-Noramn described a cake which an English speaking monk interpreted,
and described, as fruit ravioli. After all, this is what has happened
with two people in teh last little while, both of whom are cooking in the
same tradition. Perhaps that is not so far off the mark either.

Anyway, I will be interested to see what happens if we try the 'each go
away and cook this' experiment here - I have never had any kind of
cuskkagnoli, and they sound good.

Charles