SC - Cuskys in French

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Nov 3 16:03:17 PST 1997

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt wrote:

> You did very well. The word copez is related to the modern coupez or,
> literally, cut ( Middle English:hew), rather than strike, IIRC, and so it
> appears the Middle English suffered when a translation was wanted. But the
> french had a much more elegant language, both then and now.
>
> FI: "Je me coupez ma tete"="I cut my own head", not "I struck off my own
> head". Subtle, but important. We can't have them hacking at their ravioli
> with giant swords. Unless, of course, they were florentine ravioli ;^D.

Well, I am a fighting cook, after all. I chose "strike" because "coupez"
has connotations of violence in addition to mere slicing, surgery, or
division, which is presumably why "hew" was used in its place. Had the
verb been something like "trancher", or some such, I would have simply
said cut or slice. But the end result is the same, in this case, your
example to the contrary notwithstanding, since all that was needed was
to demonstrate that the intended verb was not "color".

G. Tacitus ("Told ya my French was bad!") Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com